by Lynne Govatos, MPA, CD(DONA)
A question that came up at our last doula meet and greet was, “How do I know which doula is right for me?” More often than not, choosing a doula can be a tough decision. I thought I would compile a list of questions that I commonly answer during doula interviews, in case you are feeling unsure of what to ask to help you decide on just the right doula.
- Why did you decide to become a doula?
- What organization did you train with? Did you complete your certification?
- Do you have any other relevant training or experience?
- Have you attended any births at my planned birthing place? With my provider?
- Do you have any references or reviews?
- What are the best/hardest parts of being a doula?
- What are your favorite comfort measures for labor?
- How do you feel about the use of pain medications for labor?
- Are you fully available around my due date?
- Who do you use as a back-up doula?
These questions can be a great starting place. Ultimately, when choosing a doula you’ll want to find someone that you have a good connection with. This person will be with you during some very vulnerable and intimate moments. Your comfort level with the doula may be the most important factor to consider!