by Justine Deputy, RN, MSN
Healthy eating during the holidays can be a difficult feat. There are bound to be some indulgences, but how do you stay relatively healthy throughout the many delicious feasts coming your way? The following tips can help you stay healthy over the next couple months!
- Take your time eating and enjoy the food. Avoid getting seconds once you feel full!
- Eat until satisfied rather than stuffed. There are often so many options and so much delicious food, but rather than becoming stuffed, save a plate for lunch the next day!
- Be careful with beverages too. Limit alcohol consumption as it can often have many calories and increase the likelihood of overeating.
- Don’t skip meals. Headed to a big turkey dinner? Don’t skip lunch and plan to eat more at dinner. Spreading meals out throughout the day is best for your body.
- Cooking? Look into healthy versions of many popular holiday dishes.
- Plan to exercise. The holidays are busy and often include lots of visits with family and friends making it hard to find time to exercise. Don’t let the schedule make you miss out on your exercise, plan ahead to ensure you can fit it into your schedule.
- Let yourself indulge! Don’t completely restrict yourself from foods. Want to try multiple desserts? Split a piece of pie and a cookie with someone rather than having the full serving of both.
I hope these tips help you further enjoy the holiday season. Enjoy the time with family, friends, and some yummy food!