by Anna Marie Trotman
Be an Informed Participant
A holistic approach can help you maximize your physical health and minimize the common discomforts of pregnancy. Our certified nurse midwives (CNMs) give each OB patient extended time (compared to other OB practices) where information is shared and questions and concerns are answered. We also have other resources and practitioners available to support you throughout your pregnancy. Along with our classes and hands on experiences, you gain a better understanding about how you and your baby are affected by your nutritional and emotional state.
Building a firm foundation for the health and wellbeing of both you and your baby is essential, so classes such as “Eat Right and Keep Fit for a Healthy Pregnancy” ensures you and your baby get off on the right foot. Even if you think you know all you need to know about nutrition, you have slightly different needs during your pregnancy.
Additionally, there is evidence based research which demonstrates that many complementary therapies and practices offer reassurance and reduces stress during and after pregnancy.
How Can You Best Prepare for Childbirth?
In addition to your regular OB visits with our CNMs and your white binder, we encourage you to be pro-active during your pregnancy by tapping into the many resources offered at The Birth Center or by our many practitioners.
The Emotional Benefits of a Holistic Approach
As you move through your pregnancy you may have expectations that are difficult to measure up to. You may also find that those around you expect you to be happy; after all there is a baby on the way and what could be more joyful? However, you may have periods of ambivalence, anxiety or be on a roller-coaster of emotions. Having a baby represents a big change in your body and lifestyle which can be stressful. It is important to acknowledge your emotions and find strategies that help you reduce your stress in a healthy way.
The Holistic Approach
- Yoga and Prenatal Exercise: Both support you in preparation for childbirth. You will discover tools for releasing tension and stress from your mind and body,
- Meditation: Meditation has been shown to reduce stress and anxiety related to pregnancy. The powers of focused awareness and compassion are available and accessible through simple skills you can practice in a supportive group setting, at home, and/or on your own.
- Hypnosis: Hypnosis uses the power of your subconscious to help you “program” your mind for health and wellness. Learn to anchor yourself in a state of peace and relaxation while creating new habits and behavior patterns that will support you and your baby through pregnancy your labor and delivery and beyond.
- Massage: Simple, non-invasive massage techniques can reduce stress, ease aches and pains related to pregnancy and much more. The Birth Center offers various forms of massage such as Shiatsu, Bowen Therapy, and other massage therapies.
- Healing Touch (HT): HT techniques balance and clear the patient’s energy field. This type of treatment can produce a state of deep calmness and relaxation where the various techniques used often facilitate healing. HT balances and complements other modalities for optimum health and wellbeing.
- Chiropractic: Dr. Andrea Moses says; “While the process of giving birth could be both wonderful and traumatic for any mom, the process of birth can affect the baby too! Passing through the birth canal is tough work. Even a low stress birth can cause physical trauma that can go often undetected.” Good chiropractic care is important during and after pregnancy and for your baby as well.
Now It’s Up to You
Your Birth Center support team is here to enhance your prenatal and birth experience as well as your postpartum care and challenges. As you move through your pregnancy you will begin to know what to ask so you can confidently move through your plan with your certified midwife. Our mission is for you to feel empowered to do what is best for you, your baby, and your family.
To see a listing of our services and practitioners click here.